Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Character Building Situation


"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations; Knowing this that the trying of your faith worketh patience.  But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.  
-James 1:2-4

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
-John 16:33

A Character Building Situation

Have you ever been in a situation that was just the worst?  Or have you ever been in between a rock and a hard place? Me too. Those experiences are what I like to call Character Building Situations.  I, along with several other Georgia residents, had my character tested during the recent inclement weather that we experienced last week.  As I traveled on the roads trying desperately to reach my children, dodged icy spots and other drivers that slid around the slick streets, I began to get frustrated and discouraged.  My circumstances looked bleak and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to pick up my kids from school that day.  I felt like I was trapped in a nightmare that wouldn't end.  

However, anytime that I'm confronted with tough situations, the scriptures above tend to come to my mind.   I've learned that in the mist of frustrating times or character building situations, there is always a lesson to be learned and there is always something to be grateful for.  With every character building situation, I realize more and more what James meant when he wrote the previous scripture.  

5 Reasons Why We Count Our Trials as Joy

1.  God won't let us be tempted beyond what we are capable of handling (1 Corinthians 10:13).
2.  God uses these situations to help us recognize the areas in our lives that need improvement (Ephesians 2:10 and Philippians 1:6).
3.  These situations are opportunities for us to grow in integrity (Romans 5:3-4). 
4.  Our trials and temptations will only be for a season (Ecclesiastes 3:1-7).
5.  Jesus overcame the world which makes us Over-Comers as believers of Christ (1 John 4:4).

After considering those scriptures I began to calm down.  I prayed for peace, for the other drivers, and the kids at school waiting to go home.  Even though it took almost 4 hours to get home on one of the scariest drives I've ever experienced, we made it home safely.  My faith in God grew, my patience increased and I was able to experience God's peace during a trying time.  Always remember to seek God in your character building situations.  God bless you!

Please visit us online at churchofatlantalighthouse.org.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment